Mounting Systems for Flexible, Semi-rigid and Rigid Solar Panels
Flexible Solar Panel Magnetic Canvas Mounting Kit
This mounting system does not require holes in the canvas.
We have found very high power rare earth magnets (up to 20 pound pull strength per magnet) are ideal for temporary mounting of our flexible solar panels on a canvas bimini or dodger. Our rare earth magnet kit includes 8 or 12 magnets and adhesive to attach the magnets to the upper side of the solar panel.
Using the magnet mounting kit is easy. Attach magnets to each corner of the solar panel and optionally attach two near the center of larger flexible panels using the included double sided adhesive tape. Position the flexible solar panel on the bimini or dodger and attach a mating set of magnets on the underside of the canvas. Connect the solar panel to the solar system using an MC4 T-branch connector. Store the panel under a bunk when not in use.
Semi-rigid Marine Solar Panel Mounting Kit
- They can be screwed down directly to the deck surface at each corner. We recommend a stainless screw with an oversized washer.
- They can be taped down directly to the deck with double sided Very High Bond (VHB) tape. Because the back side of the panel has a pebbled surface like the front side for air circulation, the tape must have a foam core of at least 1/8 inch to secure the panel.
- The third method is our preferred method. We have assembled a mounting kit consisting of two 'J' shaped aluminum extrusions. The extrusions are mounted on each side of the long sides of the panel and adhered to the deck surface with VHB (Very High Bond) tape. If the deck surface is not conducive to adhering the tape, the 'J' extrusions can be screwed to the deck and the panel slid into position. This mounting method allows for the panel to be slid out of the extrusion for removal and cleaning of the deck surface. See pictures below.
Top-of-pole Marine Solar Panel Mounting System - Solar Tracker
Our top-of-pole solar panel mounting system offers the best alternative for achieving maximum performance from your solar panel. Ideal for sailboats. The closer the panel is to being perpendicular to the rays of the sun the higher the performance. This is accomplished by both tilting and rotating the panel for solar tracking.
A solar panel should be easy to adjust without the use of tools.
. The panel mount design provides 13 tilt positions. Simply pull a pin, tilt the panel and replace the pin.
. The pole mounting system enables the panel to be rotated 360 degrees and locked into position.
Installation is easy and requires only basic tools.
. Simply attach the pole sleeves to the stern cockpit rail(s) and slide in the pole.
. The pole rests on our unique ball and socket base. All pole components are stainless steel.
. The panel tilt mechanism is easily assembled and attached to the solar panel using standard fasteners. All panel mounting components are anodized aluminum.
We offer ready-to-assemble kits for commercially available solar panels and for our CMP high performance marine solar panels. We also offer a complete kit that includes everything you need to install solar on your sailboat; solar panel, mounting kit, charge controller and wire.
Our top-of-pole solar tracking systems are easily customized to accommodate most solar panels and most sailboat stern rail configurations. Contact us for a quote to customize a system to your specific requirements or purchase a kit and do it yourself.
A note about our high performance solar panels:
Our experience indicates that adjusting a 100-120 watt panel 3-4 times a day will achieve power generation of up to 45+ amp-hours on a clear day. A 150-200 watt panel can produce 75+ amp-hours on a clear day.
- Determine your power requirements and select the solar panel that best meets your needs. (See our Blog and our Power Consumption Worksheet for ideas on how to accomplish this.)
- Select the panel mounting kit for your solar panel.
- Select the pole system that best fits your boat.
- Select a solar panel controller.
- Electrical ComponentsObtain the appropriate wire.
- Assemble and install your system.
Our experienced staff will help guide you through this process. Call or email us.
Top-of-pole Marine Solar Panel Mounting Kits
Top-of-pole mounting systems can be purchased as a standard kit for specific panels or custom fabricated in our shop to fit your specific solar panel. We offer two mounting kits to effectively accommodate both large and small solar panels. Each kit includes all the materials needed to mount your solar panel.
Solar Panel and Lift Crane Pole Mounting System
The top-of-pole solar panel mount is designed to set atop our 1.5 inch OD stainless steel rotating pole. The standard pole height is 66 inches. A custom pole height can be specified at the time of order.
The pole is attached to the stern rail(s) using our brackets. No drilling or machining is required. Brackets clamp onto the stern rail and attach to adjustable sleeves that hold the pole and allow it to rotate. The sleeves can be set to any of three distances from the stern rail for proper alignment. The center to center pole to stern rail distances are 1 1/4" (pole sleeve against the stern rail), 2" and 3". Custom extension links are available for greater distances. We offer several pole base designs to accommodate various boat configurations. Our ball and socket design is standard and our most popular.
Each kit includes the following:
1 Solar panel tilt mechanism assembly
2 Braces to attach the tilt mechanism to the solar panel
1 Set of fasteners
1 Solar panel pole - 66 inches high, 1.50 inches in diameter (stainless steel)
2 Stern rail mounting brackets and pole sleeves (stainless steel, for 7/8", 1" or 1 1/4" rails). Specify at time of order.
1 Pole base deck mount ball and socket pole base.
Purchase our complete top-of-pole mounting system and save.
The Solar Panel Mounting Kit and the Pole Mounting Kit can be purchased separately.
Solar Panel Mounting Kit Ordering and Pricing
1 Solar panel tilt mechanism assembly
Braces to attach the tilt mechanism to the solar panel
(quantity and length will vary depending on the
dimensions of the solar panel)
1 Set of fasteners
Small Solar Panel Mounting System
Large Solar Panel Mounting System
- 1) Solar panel pole - 66" high, 1-1/2" diameter (stainless steel)
- 2) Stern rail mounting brackets and pole sleeves (stainless steel, for 7/8", 1" or 1-1/4" rails)
- 1) Ball and socket pole base deck mount
- Assembly Instructions
Optional Lifting Crane
The lifting crane kit includes the following:
1 Crane arm assembly - 18 inches in length
1 4:1 block and tackle
1 50 feet of line
Mounting Hardware - Split Side Mounts
Split style mounts can be mounted any where on a frame — in the middle of a corner bend or even in the roof section. This creates a greater range of applications, including the use of split side mounts for installing solar panels on dodger and bimini tops.
In addition to mounting solar panels, the Split Side Mounts can be used for many applications including fixed grab rails, folding grab rails on dodgers and tensioning bars on biminis and dodgers.
- Made of cast 316 stainless steel,
- polished to a marine bright finish
- Available for 7/8" and 1" tubing
- Compatible with standard marine end fittings