Advantages of LED lamps include:
- Low power consumption (10% of comparable halogen and incandescent bulbs).
- Low heat generation with high system efficiency.
- High reliability and long operating life to minimize maintenance (our built in voltage regulator is key).
- LED’s contain NO polluting material (mercury) and facilitates easy lamp recycling.
- LED lamps can be configured to be as bright or brighter than halogen and incandescent lamps.
- The light from LED lamps does not distort colors.
- Color - LED replacement lamps are available in various colors including red, cool white and warm white. Cool white lamps are very white or blueish in color and provide the maximum light. Warm white lamps have a slight yellow tint much like incandescent and halogen bulbs. They are about 5-7% less bright and more closely match traditional lighting.
- Brightness - The brightness of LED lamps is measured in lumens. The greater the lumens, the brighter the lamp.
- Reliability - The nature of boat electrical systems is to have voltage spikes and variable voltage depending on the charge of the batteries and the power generated by charging systems such as alternators, shore chargers and solar panels. This variation in voltage is often the key factor in LED lamps failing. Thus, the necessity for a built in voltage regulator called a DC/DC constant-current converter also called a Buck Power Converter. All of our LED lamps have one. See Idiots Guide to LED's by Jeff Field at http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-54258538930337/IdiotsGuide.pdf for more information.